We are the Barkisland School Association!
The Barkisland School Association works closely alongside the school, holding fantastic events which help to raise funds for our school!
See this page for information on great upcoming events we have planned and past events which have taken place.
Who are the BSA?
The BSA (Barkisland School Association), known in most other schools as a PTA (Parent and Teachers Association) is in essence a charity whose sole purpose is to raise funds for the school.
The BSA Committee is made up of parents of pupils at Barkisland school along with representation from the teaching staff and the school’s governors. Their aim is to provide the school with provision of funds/facilities that will enhance the education of its pupils but which would not normally be funded by the local authority. This is generally achieved by different ways of fundraising.
Over the years the BSA have organised various events/activities that have contributed to the raising of funds. These vary on an annual basis, but each year there is usually end of term discos, X-Factor and a Summer Fayre to name a few. The Committee are always thinking up of different ways to make raise funds and are very open to new ideas. Many items purchased over the last few years have made a real difference to the children at Barkisland School.
Most recently, the BSA have funded:
* An amazing playground transformation for the Key Stage 1 Playground with new surfacing, signs, playground equipment and storage
* A set of books for every class to support the literacy curriculum
* A suite of laptops for the children to use and funds towards a wireless internet to facilitate the use of additional technology
* Part funding coaches for school trips to try and keep the cost to parents down
In order for the BSA to continue providing the school with the 'wish list' items it needs to purchase, it is vital that fundraising events arranged throughout the year at school are supported.
The newsletter gives regular information about forthcoming events. Please support them to enable us to continue supporting our children's education.
The BSA are a hard working group of people who freely give up their time to support the school. We are always looking for new members who are willing to help out - you don't have to commit to a set number of hours or meetings, any extra support or help will be greatly received.
- BSA Elves Craft Sale - 10th November The elves have busily been making crafts and will be on sale after school £2 each or £3 for two. They'll also be on sale after merit assembly on Friday 11 November. Look out for the Barkisland School 2017 Calendar on sale.
- Friday 11th November - The Bier Keller is back Jager Maestros tickets are now on sale. Tickets are £7.50, including a Bratwurst Sausage. Over 18s only. Doors open at 7.30pm for an 8pm start. Don't be late as is last entry is 9pm. Be quick for this very popular evening of fun, tickets are limited.
- Saturday 26 November 1pm until 4 pm - There is a very special person visiting Barkisland Church. Father Christmas and his elves will be in the Grotto. For £1.50 he will have a chat with children to find out how good they have been.
- Sunday 4th December The Christmas Matinee - Following a toy service watch a festive film (time and film to be confirmed). Have a sausage or cheese sandwich, popcorn, hot chocolate - with all the trimmings - and then home with a gift.
- Look out for the Secret Santa Shop - Date to be confirmed but there will be a great selection of gifts for the children to buy. £3 each or £5 for two.
- The Christmas performances - dates to be confirmed but no one will want to miss them. BSA will be there to serve tea, coffee and delicious mince pies
Thank you to all those who have supported the recent events;
Barkisland School Ball - a key fund raiser this year. Everyone had a fabulous evening at the Alice in Wonderland Themed evening.
June - Summer Fair. An enjoyable, fun-filled day enjoyed by school families, friends and the wider community alike.
June - The Burner. Barkisland school's children, families as well as the more serious runners took part in the Calderdale Schools fun run and 10km run. Perfectly rounded off by a fun day. Funds raised went to participating Calderdale schools.
Christmas – BSA elves beavered away to make Christmas extra special. We helped Santa in the Church grotto, made lots of elf goodies like santa keys and reindeer food and also served refreshments to families after the Christmas performances. Thank you to all who supported us during these events.